“Camelot on the Shannon” – Rindoon. Built in 1227 by King Henry III of England, populated by up to 1000 people in it’s heyday, a local saw would have it - “Rindoon was, as Athlone is and as Lanesboro might one day be”! Destroyed, ruined and forgotten in less that 150 years, one of the most important medieval town sites in Ireland has recently found a new lease of life. Six hundred and fifty years after it was destroyed and forgotten, St. John’s Parish Heritage Group has facilitated the conservation of the medieval town walls, the parish church, the windmill, beebole, hospital, gatehouse and three towers. In addition, a looped walk has been constructed which has opened up this tranquil farmland peninsula to the interested visitor. From a few dozen academic visitors a year in 2007 to 6,500 visitors in the year 2011, Rindoon is a national treasure, just waiting to be explored!
Enjoy a guided tour of Rindoon Castle and deserted medieval town, contact Regina Donlon for more info.
Tel: 00353 87 9414728