Castlecoote House, home of the Percy French Summer School, is a fine Georgian country house overlooking a beautiful stretch of the River Suck, just outside the village of Castlecoote, in the centre of County Roscommon. Trout fishing, walking, golf and horse-riding are just some of the activities available nearby. Surrounded by woodland and in the midst of a pastoral countryside,
The house, dating from 1690, stands on the site of a medieval castle originally developed by Sir Charles Coote, and has been restored to its former splendour by Ireland’s finest craftsmen. For guests, the result is a romantic hideaway combining elegant architecture and period features like marble fireplaces and plasterwork ceilings with top-notch 21st century luxury.
Think of four poster beds, whirlpool spa baths and underfloor heating - all set in the midst of beautifully landscape gardens. Castlecoote is a truly romantic and historic haven.
- The beautifully landscaped gardens, an orchard of rare apple trees, the towers of the ruined castle and an ice house make Castlecoote House a truly romantic and historic haven.
- Formerly this was an important ford on the river and was defended from earliest times, so both house and grounds have a fascinating history spanning many centuries. There was a medieval castle on the site, which is now largely destroyed, and more recently, a 17th century strong house was built within its walls. This had flanking towers at the corners, two of which can still be seen at the ends of the façade. It has been lovingly restored by some of Ireland’s finest craftsmen. The result is a romantic hideaway which combines elegant 18th century architecture, beautiful Georgian features, fine plasterwork ceilings and marble fireplaces with the 21st century luxuries of four poster beds, whirlpool spa baths and underfloor heating.
- The nearbyRiver Suck is renowned for its coarse and trout fishing.
- For the more active, there are two tennis courts and a croquet lawn.
- Walking and horseriding are available locally and there are several 18 hole golf courses nearby.