Roscommon - Ros means a wooded or pleasant height and Coman the name of its famous Irish saint and the first bishop of the See. The town is home to a number of buildings and features of historical and archaeological significance including Roscommon Castle and Abbey and the Old Roscommon Gaol.
It is the County Town and administrative centre, located about 6.5km from the River Suck and 16km from the River Shannon, offering the visitor a wide range of accommodation, shopping, historic sites and amenity facilities, golf and horse racing. Situated in the midst of rich pasture lands noted for the quality of their cattle and sheep, its modern co-operative livestock mart is one of the leading marts in the country.
It is a town rich in historical associations and contains many impressive buildings and a pleasant day could easily be spent just looking around the town. In the spacious main street is the fine renovated Bank of Ireland building which was once the courthouse and afterwards served as the Catholic church until 1903.